For beginner golfers, you should learn the basics in the sport golf. There are different things that a beginner should know. They should become aware on how to grip a golf club, the different stances, alignment of the ball, club and body, and the swing path.
Golfers should know the proper way of griping the golf club, since different variations in grips changes the flight of the ball. A golfer should find a comfortable and effective grip and not too weak or too strong. A golfer should not grip the club too tightly since it inhibits a smooth swing. You should also keep the grips of the club in good condition to prevent you from gripping the club too tightly. Since having worn grips inhibits a stronger and tighter grip on the club.
A golfer’s stance is usually a square setup. This means that the feet of a golfer are parallel to the target line. Placement of the ball can also alter a golfers stance, the ball is positioned a couple of inches inside the left heel for most shots. You should check the place of the ball with your clubs aligned on the ground, this is to help with the right setup and place of the ball.
A golfer should check the alignment of the ball with his clubs. This is to make sure that you have a higher chance of shooting the ball on the hole. An important thing to remember is to never leave clubs between your feet longer than needed in checking the proper place of the ball. This is a good way only in practice sessions to practice the proper alignment of the ball.
There are different shots made depending on the swing path of a club. Straight shots are usually made by an inside to square swing path. A hook is usually made by an inside to outside swing path. A slice is usually made by an outside to inside swing path. The face of the club also affects the swing path because if the club’s face is open the shot is either a slice or fade. If the face of the club’s square, the shot is straight. If the face of the club’s closed, the shot is a hook. A golfer should take time to watch other golfers practice from a safe distance to see and find the effects of different swing paths and how it affects the shots made by the golfer.
Going on a golf vacation in Athens is not complete without having a golf cart to carry your clubs and transport you around the fairway. However, golf carts are not that handy to bring in a vacation due to its size. It is also not practical to ship them as well because that would cost too much. But when you’re on a golf course, it is easy to find a golf cart rental.
Renting a Golf Cart
- If you are staying in a hotel in Athens with a golf course, inquire whether they have golf carts for rent. If none, then you might as well do a little research online or use the phonebook and look for rental services. You can also ask the front desk attendant, they’ll know where to point you.
- Choose between an electric or gas operated golf cart. Electric golf carts, when charged properly, can technically operate the whole day. It would save you from having to refill the gas prior to returning it. Gas operated golf cart, on the other hand, will work for a longer time and you need not worry about batteries getting drained.
- Compare the rental rates for you to get the best deal. Some stores will actually charge additional fees for delivery, if necessary.
- When renting a cart, it is actually advisable that you rent them ahead of time before using it. Some rental stores actually ran out of golf carts for you to rent especially on holidays or weekends.
- Fill out the rental contract and pay the rental fee.
- Make sure that the golf cart is in condition so you won’t get charged by unnecessary fees due to damages you didn’t incur.
- Moreover, to avoid additional charges, return the cart on time according to the terms on the rental contract you signed.
Beginners in golf may find it difficult to understand the basic terms that come with it when playing. The terms can be confusing and the game formats as well. Some of the important terms you need to understand are the golf score terms. They are quite different from other sports since they also have a different winning strategy.
How to Understand Score Terms in Golf
- To understand the different terms of golf score, you must be able to get familiar with the concept of par. Par is a golf term that is used for the number of shots you need to hit from the tee to the hole. Golf holes usually vary from a par 5, par 4, or par 3. These pars will actually give you an idea of the length of the hole; par 5 is the longest, par 4 is a mid-ranged hole, and par 3 is the shortest.
- You should also be able to learn to determine the score terms besides par. Bogey is a term used to describe a score when you’ve hit the ball one stroke more than the par. Two strokes more than the par is called a double bogey; three strokes more than the par is a triple bogey, and etc.
- When a golfer hits one stroke lesser than the par, however, is called a birdie.
- When a golfer hits two strokes lesser than the par, the score is called an eagle; three strokes lesser than the par on a par 5 is called a double eagle.
- When a golfer hits the ball to the hole with just one stroke is called a hole-in-one. This is a rare instance, however. During tournaments, this is usually rewarded by a cash prize or a luxury prize, such as car.
- Golf scoring system is based on stroke plays. They record the number of strokes you’ve made for each hole and add them all up to produce the final score for the game. This is one of the sports where acquiring lower scores are actually better.
- Most of the golf course actually have a par 70 to 72 total; that is, when you add up the pars of each hole. If your total score is 68 on a 70 par course, then your score is said to be “2 under” for the round. If you score 70 on a 70 par course, your score is called as an “even par. Scoring 74 on a 70 par course is called “4 over”.
With the increasing popularity of Golf in Athens, starting a golf shop business might not be such a bad idea at all. It is because of this popularity that a need for having them has increased. Golf shops typically sell everything that is pretty much about golf, from clothes to golf balls to golf clubs; and this can be very profitable on your part. This is why careful planning is needed to have the business up and running.
How to Start a Golf Shop
- Prior to starting a golf shop or any business entity for that matter, you need to be able to assess and scan your market environment. If there are golf courses or golf teams near your area in Athens, then starting a golf shop is a sensible idea.
- Create a name for your golf shop that has not been trademarked yet to avoid getting sued for infringement. It is very important that you choose a name and tagline that is catchy to make it easier for your customers to remember your shop.
- Inquire business startup requirements from a government agency that regulates business entities in Athens. Obtain and comply with the requirements. Once complied, get them approved.
- Look for an available space for rent near the golf course; if you wish to have an on-site office, you might as well look for a big space. A bigger space is also recommended if you have a lot of golf merchandise to sell.
- Tie up with different golf product suppliers to purchase wholesale products at a cheaper price. However, some of them have a minimum order requirement for a particular product.
- Purchase retail equipment for your shop. This includes signage, shelves, cash register, shopping carts and basket, price guns, and scanner.
- Market your golf shop by placing an ad online or distributing print ads, sponsoring community golf events, and complimentary discounts as well.
There is only one golf course found in Athens, Greece and it is the Glyfada Golf Club also known as the Athens Golf Club. The golf course is an 18-hole, Par 72 course in a wavy landscape. Glyfada has many old trees and bushes which makes an interesting game for players of all handicaps. The course is near the seaside of Glyfada. It is easily accessible since the course is located 12km by car from the city center. Golfers can enjoy the view of the seaside while enjoying an interesting game of golf.
The 18-hole course also offers a practice facility which is a driving range. The Glyfada Golf Club are open for their visitors every day, however player’s from the home club requires a valid handicap certificate. Etiquette in the golf club is to wear soft spikes on the course. There are also some fees for the use of the golf course, from Mondays to Fridays a fee of 52.5 € for the 18 holes and 40 € for the 9 holes. The fee is also the same for Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
There are also amenities in the golf course. The club amenities are locker rooms; however there are rentals such as clubs for hire, trolley for hire and electro-cart for hire. The golf club also has different amenities near it such as restaurants where they can enjoy a refreshing drink or a delicious meal. While traveling to Athens and enjoying the different tourist spots, you can enjoy the amenities in the golf course and enjoy a game in their beautiful and interesting golf course. You can either practice or play a full course with your friends. There are also different amenities that are found near the golf course where the golfers can enjoy after their game.
Golf is considered to be one of the popular sports in the world today. As a matter of fact, a lot of vacationers opt to stay in a hotel with a golf course. One of the places with great golf courses is Greece, particularly in Athens; however, bringing golf clubs while traveling can be such a hassle. Various airlines nowadays actually offer shipping services for sports equipment, such as golf clubs, to make it easy for you to embark on a golf vacation.
How to Ship Gold Clubs via an Airline
- Consider looking for a direct shipping service that will ship your clubs to Athens. There are several door-to-door shipping services today that will come to your house, pack your clubs, and transport them your hotel in Athens. However, this service may not deliver your clubs on schedule for some reason. That is why it is advisable for you to ship them ahead of time.
- Shop and buy for a good golf travel bag that will render suitable for airline transport. These bags can be quite expensive. However, you can find a lot of cheaper ones in bargain stores; just make sure you buy something that is durable for travel.
- Check the guidelines and requirements of your airline for checking in sports equipment. Some airlines have a weight requirement wherein bags must not exceed 50 pounds; otherwise, they will charge you with an excess baggage fee. Also, they may require a hard shell container for your golf clubs. If you can’t comply with that, however, you are required to sign a waiver.
- On the day of your departure, make sure you arrive early at the airport since you are carrying a large and heavy golf bag as an addition to your luggage. Don’t forget to place a tag on your golf set with your name, address, and contact number in it. It is important to note that some airport taxis and shuttles may require you to pay an additional charge for the transport of a large item.
- In case your golf club arrives late, have a contingency golf club rental plan. Most hotels with golf courses nowadays actually have golf club rentals for their travelers. If you are comfortable using another one’s golf clubs, then you might as well skip the shipping part and just fly to Athens and live your golf vacation without any hassle. This might just save you from the huge expenses you might incur at the airport.
For the Athens Area Junior Golf Tour, there are different rules and regulations with regards to their dress codes, measurements, weather, and others. Some of the rules and regulations are below.
- Parents of the players and all players should wear the proper golf attire. The boys’ proper attires are “khaki” style pants or shorts and collared shirts. Girls’ proper attires are “khaki” style pants, skirts or shirts and golf right shirts even without collars. Clothing such as jeans, cut-offs, t-shirts, etc. are not permitted and those who don’t wear the required attire need to change or they’re not allowed on the course. Metal spikes are also prohibited, however soft spikes are only allowed on the course.
- For players, if a certain event is full, they’re placed on the alternate or wait list in the time and date they entered. If ever there is an available spot and the players’ number is next, they will automatically be added to the tournament. The player will receive a text message on their phone about their status. For future events, if ever a player is on the alternate list but was not able to make it in the last field on an event; they have priority status for the next event they will enter.
- Some allow electronic range finders on the golf course for a certain distance as long as it is not the type that measures the wind, slope, etc.
- Electronic devices aren’t allowed from being used during the tournament play on the course. These electronic devices include cellphones, iPods, headphones, etc.
- In cases of lightning and other dangerous weather, players need to evacuate the course and seek shelter. Players should also mark the positions of the ball before leaving the course. The Tour staff will sound an air horn to warn the players and stop their play immediately. This is to make sure that the players are safe from any accidents that might happen during these conditions.
- In conditions where there is bad weather that will shorten the tournament round, players must at least complete 1/2 of the holes to consider it as a completed tournament. In a 6-holes tournament, players should finish 3 holes. For 9-holes tournaments, players should finish 5 holes. For 18-holes tournament, players should finish 9 holes.
- Parents and spectators need to stay on the cart paths and they may not interact with the players except to give food and beverages. Since players need to concentrate on the tournament and any distractions aren’t allowed during the course of the game.
- The event’s entry deadline is at 7:00pm on the Monday of the tournament week.
Most golfers, when not playing in the golf course, typically enjoy playing online golf games. These games can be downloaded at your convenience and some are basically played using the internet. However, a number of online gaming sites offer these games with a fee. But, if you know how to make your way around the internet, then you will be able to find free online golf games that you can enjoy anytime.
Free Online Golf Games
- Entertainment Art’s Pebble Beach Golf. This online golf game is powered by Pogo which allows you to register and play online golf for free. This golf game enables you to assess the wind speed and direction, and choose the appropriate club to use given the circumstances.
- Candystand’s Mini Golf. This is powered by the NabiscoWorld site. This game enables you to play 9 or 18 holes, depending on your preference. Moreover, you can also practice any hole of your choice. You can play multiplayers as well.
- Pebble Beach 3 Hole. It is a shorter golf series where you compete with the defending champion.
- NabiscoWorld’s Driving Range. You are given with a bucket of golf balls to practice swing at a driving range. It allows you to check the wind, choose a golf club, and change directions.
- NabiscoWorld’s Free Mini Golf. Unlike other golf games, you need not register for you to play the game. This game is filled with challenging hazards wherein you are required to top the score.
- NabiscoWorld’s Mini Mini-Golf. An updated version of their Mini Golf game where more obstacles are in store.
It is important to note that when playing online games, they will actually require you to install certain software to make the game work properly. Some websites require a Flash Player or Shockwave. Make sure you have any of this software for you to play without interruption.
Over the years, golf has been becoming increasingly popular among the youth and the adults in Athens. One of the best ways for them to hone their golfing skills is by joining various golf tournaments held in Greece. Because of these tournaments, Greek golfers become extremely motivated to win more and eventually enter the professional world of golf.
The Faldo Series
Faldo Series is a charity golf tournament that aims to provide opportunity to young golfers to help identify and nurture the next breed of champions. They host 38 annual tournaments in 28 countries worldwide where golfers of ages 12 to 21 years old can join in. The leading players of the various countries will then be qualified for the Faldo Series Grand Finals that takes place somewhere in Asia and Europe.
The Faldo Series is a licensed charity supported by the six-time major golf champion, Sir Nick Faldo, and various golf associations. There are approximately 7,000 young golfers that benefit from the charity annually.
The Greek Professional Golfers’ Association
The Greek Professional Golfers’ Association (Greek PGA) aims to promote and administer professional golf in Greece. They are a group of golfers that have proven themselves in terms of tournament wins. These professional Greek golfers are qualified to compete professionally worldwide. They also host various Professional Greek Open Golf Championships wherein they invite various players that seek to compete with them.
Location of Golf Tournaments
There are plenty of golf courses in Greece to choose from. Golf tournaments usually held in Athens, however, are hosted by Glyfada Golf Club where a number of international golf events are previously held. One of the annual major golf tournaments held here is the International Amateur Golf Tournament. It is also where Hellenic Golfing Federation is based; a group of golfers that promote the sport of Golf in Greece.
There are many beginner golfers who want to learn more about the sports golf. There are many professionals who offer their services to those who want to learn. They offer lessons for adults, women, beginners, groups, juniors, and men. They also offer golf training, indoor golf lessons, and others. There are many schools in the United Kingdom that offer golf lessons at different fess and specialties.
Some of the schools that offer golf lessons include:
- Dave Tottman Golf
- The Mark Butler Golf Academy
- The North London Golf Academy Ltd.
- Chris Jelly Golf
- Marshall Golf Shop Heworth
- The Golf Academy
- Eaton Golf Club
- Penrith Golf Centre and Driving Range
- Gowerton Golf Centre
- Cannon Golf
- Tilsworth Golf Lessons
- Stowmarket Golf Centre
- Seaton Carew Golf Shop
- Paul Roberts Golf Centre
- Pachesham Golf Centre
- Mid Kent Golf Shop
- Halesowen Golf Range
- Woolton Golf Club Ltd
- Fingle Glen Professional Shop
- Brailsford Golf Range
- Forthview Golf Range and Prostance Academy
- Chris Hall Golf Professional
- Astley Golf Centre
There are more schools and other professionals that offer their services in helping you in learning the basics and other lessons they have to offer. Some of them also offer the equipment needed in playing golf and different amenities to help their students on their lessons. Since some of these schools have their own golf driving ranges available for their students. The teachers vary in teaching styles and lessons based on the knowledge of the golfer. They entertain whether the person is a professional or a beginner. Golf lessons also vary on the age of the person, a child can learn how to properly play golf at a young age.